Students end semester with wrapping party

Jennica Sorensen, senior music major, wraps gifts for her family and friends during the Dec. 7 wrap-up party at the Student Life Center.

Jennica Sorensen, senior music major, wraps gifts for her family and friends during the Dec. 7 “wrap-up” party at the Student Life Center.

Students “wrapped up” the fall 2004 semester with help from the Campus Activities Board Dec. 7.

CAB held a “wrap-up” party in the Student Life Center. The party allowed students to bring in the Christmas presents they had already purchased and wrap the presents themselves or have someone help wrap them.

“We thought it would be fun for people to have a break and wrap presents before finals,” said Carla Fairbanks, resident director of McCormick Hall.

Fairbanks said she thought the event was a fun thing for CAB to do. She said concentrating on making presents look nice can be a good stress reliever from finals.

“We never do anything Christmassy,” she said.

Fairbanks said she thought the event would be a good way to get students into the Christmas spirit.

“I thought the party went pretty good,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

Both Fairbanks and Blackford agreed they would like to see CAB hold the event in the future.

Fairbanks also said she was shocked with the turnout. The party began around 9 p.m., which coincided with the end of the Dec. 7 men’s basketball game.

Blackford said about 75 attended.

“A lot of them that came out stayed for a long time,” she said. “I think everyone appreciated it.”

Blackford said the party had a laid-back atmosphere and everyone was being social. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Elf were shown during the night. Also, CAB served cookies, hot chocolate and eggnog for the students who attended.

“It was a really cheap event for us,” Blackford said.

Fairbanks said the wrap-up party cost CAB less than $200.

“It was a cheap event, and we figured it would get people involved,” Fairbanks said.

Blackford said Fairbanks organized the entire event.

“Carla gets all the credit,” Blackford said.

Blackford also said anyone who has presents they would like to have wrapped can bring them to the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center through finals week.

“It’s kind of nice we can provide a service to students [by helping them wrap their Christmas presents],” she said.