Freshman linebacker shows upside for Lions

Alan Glanville (31) wraps up Missouri Western running back, Donnell Hawkins, during play last Saturday, Oct. 6. Glanville recorded 17 tackles Saturday against the Griffons. Elaine Parrigon | The Chart

Alan Glanville has recorded
32 tackles in the last two games

The Missouri Southern Lions hosted their homecoming last Saturday against Missouri Western State University. The game was delayed for around an hour because of bad weather, but the skies cleared up allowing the Lions to play. The Lions held on in the first half only allowing one touchdown and two field goals, but failed to put up any points as they went into half trailing 13-0 to the Griffons. In the start of the third quarter the Lions were held to a quick three and out, which resulted in a 54-yard punt return to stretch the lead to 20-0. The Lions would soon get a field goal to cut the lead down to 17 before the start of the fourth quarter. The Griffins would eventually go on to score another thirteen points, compared to the Lions only scoring a touchdown in the final drive of the game to end the game with a loss of 33-10. This is the Lions sixth loss of the season also the 19 straight loss from the Lions. Their last win was in 2016 on October 29 against Northeastern State University where the Lions won 45-33.

“I want to see us continue to fight, continue to step forward as a program and have our practices improve and our film study improve. Figure out to be in a ball game late in the fourth quarter and capitalize on it. I think this was a step in the right direction, but we felt pretty good heading into halftime but we didn’t come out and play as well as we liked in all three phases of the game. It’s a step by step process, but now we gotta figure out how to make plays late in ball games,” said Interim Head Coach Joe Bettasso on what he saw against MWSU and what he wants to see in the second half of the season from the team.

The Lions top performers this past weekend were junior, Sean Kelly, who had eight completions for 124 yards in the air, and sophomore Dalton James had 106 yards rushing and also had the teams only touchdown of the night. James also had five receptions for 43 yards. The Lions leading tackler for the second week in a row was, freshman, Alan Glanville who had 17 tackles. Last week Glanville had a 15 tackle performance and with his 17 this week he has over 30 tackles in two weeks. 

“Well he has played well, he is similar to Jordan. He runs around and makes plays, but still makes some of those freshman mistakes, sometimes goes to the game instead of letting the game come to him. He gives you a different level of athleticism and plays well off of blocks. His length and athleticism and then he is one of those guys always watching film and just always wants to be in there with you, he should be a cornerstone for the program moving forward,” said Bettasso on Glanville’s early success in his career at Southern. 

The Lions next game will be in Topeka, Kansas against Washburn University. Washburn is 3-3 this season, and beat Northeastern State University 58-14 last week. Washburn’s top performers this season are sophomore, Mitch Schurig who has 822 passing yards and seven touchdowns in four games this season. Their leading rusher of the season is redshirt freshman, Hunter Browning who has 287 yards rushing for two touchdowns. Washburn’s leading tackler for the season is senior, Austin Tillman who plays linebacker and has 63 total tackles, of which 28 are solo. In their game last week against Northeastern, Schurig threw for 190 yards and three touchdowns. 

The Lions do not have a starting quarterback named for Saturday, but we can expect the starter to either be Sean Kelly or junior, LeEarl Patterson who had 41 passing yards with one interception and a fumble. 

“I wish I could give a different answer for you, but we’re waiting for someone to grab over the reigns and to take over and say this is my offense,” said Bettasso on the quarterback situation this year for the Lions. 

The game will be this Saturday, October 13 at 1:00 p.m. in Topeka, Kansas against Washburn University.