Tennis opens with loss

Barb Gombosi, sophomore, returns a hit during a set against Emporia State at Millenium Tennis and Fitness Center Sunday.

Serving up a new season, Missouri Southern’s tennis team was swept by Emporia State University in the MIAA opener on March 7 at the Millennium Tennis and Fitness Center.

Number one seed Barb Gombosi was defeated 6-2 and 7-5 by ESU’s Marcela Bayon.

Freshman Ashton Lawrence and sophomores Erin Fritz and Kristen Meschede were all swept in their matches.

Freshman Michelle Hall, Southern’s number two seed, lost 6-3,3-6,6-3 and senior Lacey McMunn lost 4-6,6-2,7-5.

In doubles, the Lions went 0-3. The Gombosi /Hall and McMunn/Meschede duos both fell 6-8, while Fritz/Lawrence lost 0-8.

Currently 0-1 in conference play and 0-1 overall, the Lions have only four more conference matches to improve their record. Overall, the Lions have 10 matches remaining, with two tournaments to end the season.

The Lions resume play Saturday at Drury. Conference play resumes on March 19 when the Lions will travel to Northwest Missouri State in Maryville.

Their next home game is against Lincoln at 2 p.m. on March 26 at the Millennium Tennis and Fitness Center.