Lions maul WU

Sophomore Michael Meyer throws some heat during the April 26 game against Washburn University. The Lions won all three games, including their final home game against the Ichabods.

After losing to the Washburn University Ichabods once, Missouri Southern’s baseball team would not let it happen again. Three times they defeated WU on Saturday April 23 and 24.

The first game started off when Southern’s Kyle Knight, sophomore right fielder, singled through the right side. Knight was the first athlete to score in the triple-header.

The run was made after Mike Baso, senior left fielder, singled to the left field.

In the second inning, the Lions had two runners cross home plate and take the score to 3-0. In the fifth inning, WU attempted a comeback when one of their players homered to right field.

However, Southern answered back when the Lions hit two more runs in the sixth. The game ended with a score of 6-2.

The second game for the day started at 5:15 p.m. and had 130 people in attendance.

The Ichabods started off the runs when they score in the third inning. The Lions made a quick rally when Evan Bates, senior center fielder and pitcher, scored. Trevor Whipkey, freshman designated hitter and left fielder, also scored to win Southern’s second run, and Luke Lawver, sophomore third baseman, scored after Jeff Taylor, junior first baseman, singled up the middle.

The game ended in the top of the ninth with a score of 5-4.

The third game started at noon on the next day and had 145 people attending the game.

The Lions fired off three runs in the first inning, and after that, they steadily scored runs throughout the game. Playing defensively, Southern only allowed the Ichabods to score one rn for the game.

The score ended with 6-1, and it was Daniel Ritchhart’s, senior pitcher, fourth complete game victory in five starts this season.

The seniors graduating from Southern this year are: Ritchhart, Bates, Baso, Brett Molden, shortstop; Tyler Storm, pitcher; Dustin Brown, pitcher; and Josh Tupper, pitcher.

The Lions will play next at 7 p.m. Friday against Emporia State University. They will then compete at 1 p.m. Saturday against them again.

The current standing for the Lions is 10-12 for the MIAA and 19-25 overall.