Women prepare to start MIAA action in Emporia

Hosting the MSSU Classic, the Missouri Southern women’s soccer team went 2-0 last weekend.

On Sept. 10, the Lions took on the Augustana College Vikings. The Loins won 3-0.

The first half of the game went scoreless, but the Lions’ Christina Kleekamp, freshman defender/midfielder, scored the first goal of the game in the 51st minute. She was assisted by Jentri White, freshman, midfielder/forward.

Nikki Llewellyn, freshman midfielder, scored in the 53rd minute off an assist by Erin Gfeller, junior midfielder. The Lions’ final goal came in the 69th minute from Lauren Kurelac, sophomore forward. Jessica Buhman, junior midfielder/defender earned the assist.

On Sept. 11, Southern defeated the University of South Dakota Coyotes 2-1.

Gfeller scored the first goal of the match in the 40th minute, unassisted. Llewellyn scored in 59th minute assisted by Kurelac and Gfeller.

The Coyotes scored their lone goal in the 76th minute.

Trevor Wachsman, head women’s soccer coach, said the weekend was a good weekend for the Lions.

“It was tough playing back-to-back games in the heat,” Wachsman said. “I think we got a great group effort both games and were able to come out with a couple good wins.”

Wachsman said the Lions started the season against some tough opponents, but the losses set the tone for what needs to be throughout the season.

“Since those games we’ve played good soccer,” he said. “We’re still a young group and at times a little undisciplined, [but] I’m real happy with the way we’ve been progressing.

Gfeller said she thinks the team is playing good, team soccer.

“I think we’re looking really good,” she said. “And we’re pretty young so we’ll be good for a few years to come.”

“We have a lot of good players on our team,” Wachsman said. “We have depth that we may not have had in the past.”

The Lions begin conference play Friday, when they take on the Emporia State University Hornets in Emporia. The road trip continues Sunday in Topeka when the women play Washburn University.

“Our conference schedule will be tough,” Wachsman said.

Gfeller said every game from here on out is important.

“Going into conference, we’re really confident about our abilities,” she said.