Southern men drop two conference games

T.J. Gerlach

Losing both of them, the Missouri Southern men’s soccer team played two home games last weekend.

On Sept. 9, the Lions played the St. Edwards University Hilltoppers. The Lions lost 2-1.

In the game, SEU scored in the 33rd minute, but Southern’s Drew Whitworth, sophomore midfielder, tied the game in the 55th minute off an assist from Evan Keeling, sophomore forward.

SEU would regain the lead in the 89th minute with a hard shot just outside the 18-yard line.

“Not too many goalkeepers are going to save that one,” said Kiley Cirillo, head men’s soccer coach. “You’re going to have to have a top-class goalkeeper to save that one, and I feel like I’ve got one with Travis (Haight, junior goalkeeper); he was almost there.”

Haight would earn eight saves in the loss.

Offensively, Keeling led the Lions in shots with four and two on frame. Whitworth also had two out of three shot on goal.

On Sept. 11, the Lions took on the Midwestern State University Indians, losing 2-1.

MSU scored both its goals in the first half. Southern’s Dushan Gorechan, sophomore forward, scored the Lion’s lone goal in the 69th minute. Austin Whiles, freshman midfielder, earned the assist.

Gorechan had four shots in the game, and Keeling had two shot, placing both on frame.

Haight earned 13 saves.

Cirillo said the team was sluggish in the first half.

“We didn’t have a purpose,” he said. “We came out in the second half, and we had a little bit more energy.”

Haight said the team has been playing pretty good.

“We’re coming along great,” he said. “The guys are giving 100 percent on their effort. I’m really happy with how the season’s progressing so far. It’s going much better than last year.”

Friday, the Lions head to San Antonio to play St. Mary’s University. Sunday, they will stay in San Antonio to play the University of the Incarnate Word.

“Friday we should come out hard and get a victory,” Haight said. “And Sunday it’s going to be another full 90 minutes; it’s going to be tough.”

“Incarnate’s struggling right now,” Cirillo said. “But we’ve got to focus on St. Mary’s first.”

The Lion’s record now stands at 2-5 overall and 0-3 in the Southwest Soccer Conference.