Women’s soccer falls to No. 21

Lindsay Robinson, sophomore defender/midfielder, challenges a Rockhurst University player for a header during the Oct. 12 game.

On Oct. 12, the Missouri Southern Lions women’s soccer team got back onto the winning track, beating the Rockhurst Lady Hawks 2-0.

On Oct. 8, the Lions lost to Southwest Baptist University 3-1 in conference play at Hal Bodon Filed.

With the loss to SBU, it ended the Lion’s winning streak at nine games. In the game, SBU’s Atefeh Heivary scored two goals; Amy Swallow scored the other goal for SBU. Lion Erin Whelan scored the lone goal for Southern.

During the Oct. 12 game, Southern and Rockhurst came out battling. At halftime, the score was tied 0-0. In the second half, sophomore Erin Whelan scored the first goal of the game. Later in the half, freshman Nikki Llewellyn scored the second goal of the game, putting the Lion’s up 2-0. With the win, it puts the Lions back on the winning track.

“It feels a lot better winning this one, we needed a bounce back from our loss,” Whelan said.

With the loss to SBU, it dropped the Lions down from 16th in the nation, to 21st. They are also now 2nd in the conference with a record of 4-1-2.

“It feels good to know that our team is playing well, and can compete against good teams,” Llewellyn said.

Head coach Trevor Wachsman was proud of his team’s effort Wednesday night.

“We knew we could come out and play well,” Wachsman said. “The last game we didn’t play poorly, that’s just the way the game goes sometimes.”

All together, the girls have seven games left, all being conference games.

Their next game is on Saturday at Northwest Missouri State.

Their next home games are Oct. 21 and 23. The men also have games on Oct. 21 and Oct. 22.

“MOSO women’s soccer is awesome,” said Angie Turner, freshman physical education major. “The way they played as is team was great. The ultimate fans predict a national championship.”