Group discusses Shocktober, spring events

Parker Willis

Student turnout was the main topic of the Campus Activities Board officers’ meeting on Oct. 5.

The Board focused on how to advertise effectively and what kinds of events will get good turnouts on campus.

“After each event, we need to find out what went wrong, what went right and what we can do to make it better,” said Candice Dickinson, CAB president.

Dickson started the meeting by handing out activity evaluation forms to all the attending members and instructed them to fill them out and return them next week.

She also discussed how to get other students to fill them out so the Board has some feedback to work with.

Members also discussed upcoming events such as the murder mystery dinner theater planned for the Oct. 27.

“I’m really excited about it,” said Derick White, CAB secretary. “It’s going to be an awesome event.”

The catered, interactive murder mystery will take place in the Connor Ballroom in the Billingsly Student Center.

Tickets will be $5 for students and $10 for non-students.

There are limited seats available so CAB suggests students purchase their tickets as soon as possible.

There will also be tickets to the event given away at one of the upcoming events like the John Zaffis event on Tuesday and the movie night on Oct. 20.

Other upcoming events discussed were the Safe Halloween party at the John Q. Hammons Center and the drive-by raking the Board plans to have as soon as leaves start to fall.

The Board also discussed having a dance sometime this spring. It will probably have a theme like 1980s prom.

Tori Maloukis, director of student activities, said the dance would be more funny than serious.

“If we’re going to have a dance, we’re going to have to do it huge, because every time we’ve had a dance, it’s flopped,” White said.

But the Board thought the 1980s theme would go over well and discussed other activities to do at the dance, including a Dance-Dance-Revolution machine and a costume contest.

The meeting lasted 45 minutes, and there were six officers in attendance.

The next CAB meeting will be on Oct. 12 in the student activities office on the second floor of the BSC.

CAB encourages student participation and any feedback from students it can receive.