Four transfers fill men’s basketball roster

Ed Miles, junior forward, dribbles up court during the Nov. 3 exhibition game against Livin the Dream.

Ed Miles, junior forward, dribbles up court during the Nov. 3 exhibition game against Livin’ the Dream.

After a second-place finish in the MIAA last year, the Missouri Southern men’s basketball team was picked eighth of nine teams in this year’s preseason poll.

“That doesn’t mean anything to me,” said Robert Corn, head men’s basketball coach. “Because every year I’ve been here, I don’t think we’ve ever finished where they picked us. The polls don’t mean anything; it’s where you finish up, and that’s the way you play the games.”

Corn said he would be disappointed if this year’s team finished in eighth because he believes the Lions are capable of doing better things than that.

He said the team had an up and down season last year.

“If you look at one thing we want to do better this year than we did last year, we want to be more consistent,” Corn said. “We were so inconsistent that we struggled at times.”

He also said the team wants to come out and improve everyday.

“Hopefully, each game we’ll get a little bit better and just become the best we can possibly be,” he said.

Corn said he believes a team is only as good as its defense.

“Once we get into conference play, you’re not going to be able to outscore people,” he said. “You’ve got to beat them, and you have to do that on the defensive end.”

Quentin Edwards, senior guard, said the team’s offense is clicking, but they need to work more on defense.

“Once we stop guys from shooting above 40 percent, we’ll be a team to reckon with,” Edwards said.

Jeremy McCadney, senior forward, said this year’s team has a lot of talent.

“If we get past all the injuries, we’re going to be good,” McCadney said. “Right now, it’s basically about coming together as a team.”

He also said the team has a deep bench to go to.

“We’ve got a good person to back up any person on the floor,” McCadney said. “Any five can start.”

Four seniors will lead the Lions this year. Dan Jones will suit up for his fifth year as a Lion. Transfers Edwards, McCadney and Jeremie Bond, center/forward, will finish their college careers this year as well.

“Hopefully, all four of those guys will be able to give us direction in a positive way and hopefully some positive things will happen over the course of the year,” Corn said.

Joining the seniors are four junior college transfers and one high school recruit.

Ed Miles, forward; Myron Hodge, forward/center; Michael Lang, guard; and Stanley Titsworth, guard, are the transfers.

Corn said all will supply positives to the team, although Titsworth underwent knee surgery recently and will be out for three to five weeks.

“We feel like all four of these guys fill needs for us,” Corn said.

Freshman guard Corey Anderson also joins the squad, but is out temporarily with a sprained ankle.

Two more juniors, Matt Habermehl, forward, and Dale Hunter, center, as well as two sophomores, Daron Harris and Tyler Ryerson, both guards, fill out the Lions roster.

The Lions open up regular season play Tuesday at home against Central Bible College. Tip-off will be at 7:30 p.m. in the Leggett & Platt Athletics Center.

Corn said he hopes the student body and the community come out to watch the team.

“This team has the chance to be an exciting team to watch,” Corn said.