Lions ‘have room to grow’

The Lions congratulate each other on a play made during the Oct. 31 match against Drury University. Southern won the match, 3-0.

Snapping a six-game losing streak, the Missouri Southern women’s volleyball team beat Drury University Oct. 31.

Prior to the win, the Lions lost three matches on the road and three more at home. The 3-0 win against DU was the Lions’ final home match.

“Our conference is so tough, and you had to be at your best potential throughout these last five matches,” said Chris Willis, head women’s volleyball coach “Our net play was not comparable to the teams we played, and I think we got beat at the net.”

On Oct. 21, the Lions faced Emporia State University, losing the match 3-1.

Cherie Baugh, freshman outside hitter, led the Lions with a team high of 13 points and 12 kills, followed by Katie Gage, freshman outside hitter, with nine points and 8 kills.

Trailing behind the two, Sarah Hoffmeister, junior outside hitter, earned 8 points, and Meagan Norman, junior libero, with seven points. Both had seven kills a piece.

On Oct. 22, the Lions faced No. 16 Central Missouri State University Jennies. The Lions lost the match 3-0.

Hoffmeister led the Lions with a team high of 12 points and 12 kills, followed by Ashley Mehrer junior middle hitter, with 11 points and nine kills.

Trailing behind the two was Ashley Hill, freshman outside hitter, with 8 points and Baugh with seven points. They both had seven kills.

On Oct. 26, the Lions faced the Missouri Western State University Griffons where the Lions lost the match 3-0.

Mehrer led the lions with a team high of 12.5 points and 11 kills, followed by Hoffmeister with 9.5 points and seven kills. Baugh had eight points and seven kills.

On Oct. 28, the Lions faced the Truman State University Bulldogs. The Lions lost the match 3-0.

Ashley Wright, sophomore middle hitter, led the Lions with a team high of seven points and five kills, followed by Hoffmeister with 6.5 points and six kills and Mehrer with 6.5 points and five kills. Hill earned six points and six Kills.

On Oct.29, the Lions faced Northwest Missouri State University, losing the match 3-0.

Mehrer led the lions with a team high of 12 points and 12 kills, followed by Baugh with 8 points and 8 kills.

Hoffmeister had eight points and seven kills, Hill was next with 6.5 points and six kills.

The next match for the Lions was the DU match.

Willis said the DU game was emotional and competitive for both sides.

“Because of our proximity, there are so many of the kids on our team and Drury’s team that played with each other in high school and club ball,” he said. “That makes them play with heart and determination, which brings kind of a competitive fire”.

Mehrer led the Lions against DU with a team high of 16.5 points and 12 kills, followed by Hill with 12.5 points and 11 kills.

Baugh trailed the two with 10.5 points and nine kills, and Wright followed her with 10.5 points and 8 kills.

Southern traveled to Pittsburg Nov. 2 to finish the season with a match against the Pittsburg State University Gorillas.

The Gorillas beat the Lions 3-1.

Mehrer and Baugh both had 16 kills for the Lions. Wright followed behind them with 13 kills.

Norman led the team in digs with 20 against PSU.

With the season at an end, the Lions finish the season with a 11-22 overall record and 3-12 in the MIAA conference.

“I felt that the team got better over the season and that we still have room to grow,” Willis said “We have a great group of women, and I was really glad to coach this team.”