Student manages full plate among several elected offices

Candice Dickinson, senior personal financial planning major, holds two campus offices, works in the Learning Center and is completing her last two semesters at Missouri Southern.

Another involved student added a new iron to her fire at the Nov. 30 Student Senate meeting.

Candice Dickinson, senior personal financial planning major, was elected treasurer at the Senate meeting after the former treasurer Garrison Earnest stepped down to go to optometry school.

But this is not the only office Dickinson holds. She is also the president of the Campus Activities Board and the vice president of the Investments Club.

And on top of that, she is applying to grad schools for next year, which is the reason she isn’t cheerleading this year.

Previously, she and her husband, Graham Dickinson, senior finance major, were cheerleaders for the last four years. Graham was the captain last year, however all that changed this year due to her involvement in so many other activities.

“The biggest reason Graham and I decided not to cheer is because we are applying to grad school this year, which means not only the application process but also entrance exams and studying for entrance exams on top of school,” Candice said.

But that hasn’t kept Candice from being effective in her many roles.

At the beginning of the semester Candice and some other active members of CAB had a meeting with Tori Maloukis, director of student activities, and asked if CAB could vote in officers to help with the effectiveness of the Board.

Maloukis agreed and Candice was elected president. Then, half way through the semester she had a meeting with her officers where she and her officers decided that breaking into committees would help even more.

“I’ve been in CAB for two years and the first meeting that we broke into committees was the most productive meeting I’ve seen in those two years,” Graham said.

Candice felt there needed to be some change from last year when CAB had no real structure with its lack of officers.

Candice has also helped to keep CAB community-minded this semester. She had the members adopt two and a half families for Christmas and is currently accepting donations for them at the Student Activities office.

“I really liked the fact that we wanted and made goals to get involved in the community this semester,” Candice said. “Because we’ve got the ability to give, and I’m glad that people wanted to get involved.”

She also helped the investments committee put on a diaper drive for the Katrina relief fund, which raised about 20 or 30 bags of diapers.

And she helped with Senate’s Casino Night where all the proceeds were donated to the United Way.

Currently, Candice is trying to finish her degree at Southern, after transferring from Cowley Community College in Ark City, Kan., more than four years ago.

Her original major was math but was changed to finance after her first two years at Southern. Now she is currently applying for grad school at University of Missouri, University of Kansas, University of Oklahoma and Tulsa University where she plans to get into a law program and eventually become a personal financial planner.