Southern News

Theft

3/6/2006

12:05 p.m.

A Department of Safety officer was contacted by a faculty member in response to a theft in Leggett & Platt Athletic Center. The faculty member said he was in a meeting and when he came back to his office, he found his wallet was missing.

The wallet contained $60 and a few credit cards. The wallet was later found in a trash can with the money missing. Another faculty member’s wallet was found at the same time and returned to the athletic department.

Theft

3/6/2006

12:00 p.m.

A DPS officer was called to Leggett & Platt after a theft was reported by a faculty member. The faculty member had taken his class to a flexibility test. After the class returned to its classroom, several students found items missing from their backpacks. An iPod, with an estimated value of $160, was stolen from one student.

Another student found her wallet had $60 taken from it. Another student was missing $10 from her backpack. The thefts were investigated, but all students were advised to report the thefts to the Joplin Police Department. The room was not locked during the time the class was gone.

Information

3/1/2006

8:10 p.m.

A DPS officer was assisting a student with a parking problem when the officer heard a noise coming from Lot 17. After the noise occurred, the officer observed two white males running from the area along the area next to Fred Hughes Stadium.

A vehicle alarm had been activated and the officer went to investigate. However, another alarm sounded and another suspect was observed running north along the same parking lot.

The officer observed a vehicle drive across the field next to the parking lot, and the officer tried to catch up with it. The vehicle was driving with its lights off. The license plate could not be seen.

A charcoal grill and several other items were found to have been thrown on the parking lot or near or onto other vehicles. No damage to the vehicles was found.

Other parking lots were checked to make sure similar situations did not occur.

Theft

2/27/2006

9:30 a.m.

A student reported her bicycle had been stolen from a rack in front of Stegge Hall. The student said the bicycle had been taken five times in the past month, but had always been returned. The student had last seen the bicycle on Feb. 24. The student was advised to contact the JPD and report the incident.