Lions take second in MIAA

Taking second in the conference, Missouri Southern’s tennis team finished 2-1 in the MIAA Tournament April 22-23.

Southern entered the tournament as the No. 3 seed.

In the first round, the Lions played Washburn University, beating the Lady Blues 5-3.

Singles wins cam from Michelle Hall, sophomore; Barb Gombosi, senior; Kim McMunn, senior; and Ashton Lawrence, sophomore. Kasey Adams, freshman, and WU’s Lisa Coleman did not finish.

In doubles action, Hall and Gombosi were the only winning team.

In Round 2, Southern faced No. 2 seed Southwest Baptist University. The Lions won the match 5-0.

Hall, Gombosi and McMunn won their singles matches. Kristen Meschede, junior, Lawrence and Adams’ matches did not finish.

The Lions took the doubles matches 2-1 with Hall and Gombosi securing one win, and Lawrence and Adams taking the other.

This put Southern in the championship match against Northwest Missouri State University. NWMSU won 5-0, giving them the MIAA title.

The Lions finish up at 12-7 overall and 4-2 in the MIAA. They also ranked No. 7 in the region, which may lead to a berth in the NCAA Division II North Central Region Tournament May 5-7.

On April 25, the tennis team announced its newest addition.

Lauren Skimbo, from Claremore, Okla., signed to play with the Lions. Skimbo was a four-year starter at Claremore High School. She also excelled in soccer and basketball at CHS, earning several honors in both. She plans to study psychology at Southern.