Students ask questions about campus call light

Campus safety is on the minds of many students.

Missouri Southern is in the process of adding security cameras to the campus, but many students are left wondering about the call light near the tunnel.

“I think there should be more than one call light,” said Matthew Nicholson, junior marketing major. “Every other campus has more than one. Why can’t we?”

Others agreed.

“I think it’s dangerous to just have one call light,” said Laurn Trower, freshman dental hygiene major.

Bob Harrington, Physical Plant director, said the call light was set up in 1996. At the time, students on campus had to walk from the residence hall to Billingsly Student Center where the cafeteria was located. The call light was positioned near the tunnel because it was a main route for students.

“Reasons why there is only one emergency call light is because that’s the only one that was requested,” Harrington said.

He said the idea for more has not been brought to him.

“I didn’t know students wanted other call lights,” Harrington said. “To get more is expensive because of the power needed, but I think more can help until I have someone viewing the cameras 24-seven. Actually, with the emergency call lights, you can get in contact with campus security quicker that way.”

Many students walk around campus at night, but some said they try to avoid walking through the tunnel at night because of its location and lack of lighting.

“The tunnel is too dark and scary at night,” Trower said. “At night, I walk the longer way because I feel it’s safer. They should put lights elsewhere.”

When it comes to feeling safe, students had a few suggestions for locations for better security.

“I think they should put other lights near the dorms, apartments, sand volleyball court, football stadium and parking lots,” Nicholson said.

“I think they should be placed beside the dorms, near the library and the back parking lot near the apartments and gas station because a lot of students tend to walk by themselves a lot at night,” said Elbert Johnson, senior business major.

The Department of Public Safety will soon begin installing security cameras on campus. Cameras are already installed in the bookstore and machine tech area.

Some students said this may not help them as much as the call lights.

“I prefer the call light over the cameras,” said Emily Thomas, sophomore nursing major. “It will be safer because camera’s will only show what happens after the fact.”

However, some students were in favor of the cameras.

“I prefer the cameras because they can actually watch what’s going on at all times,” said Jordan Cook, junior economics major. “It can actually make us students feel safer because we are being look after 24-seven.”