Lions, Tigers prepare for catfight

Redshirt freshman defensive lineman Chris Norris (75) fights for position with sophomore offensive tackle Elliot Ginn in preparation for Ouachita Baptist.

Michael Watson

Missouri Southern head football coach Bart Tatum isn’t just preparing this year’s team, he’s watching them evolve.

“There’s potential there,” he said. “We appear to be changing in a growing-like matter.”

Part of that potential is the incoming freshman class.

“We’ve got guys as true freshmen who will be contributing,” Tatum said. ” We had a good class and we enter Saturday with a high level of confidence.”

In preparation for tomorrow’s game against Ouachita Baptist, the Lions have been enduring two-a-day practices. Even though practice conditions haven’t always been pleasant, freshman quarterback Jeremiah Jones isn’t complaining.

“It’s cool; it’s good, Jones said. “I’m learning a lot.”

To endure those practices, players need a good work ethic; one that senior cornerback Ben Augustin takes pride in.

“I enjoy the responsibility that comes with being a senior,” he said. “That way, the underclassmen look up to your work ethic.”

Hard work leads to wins, and winning is Augustin’s, as well as team’s, goal.

“My main focus for this season is winning,” Augustin said.

Tatum also noted the team’s dedication on the practice field.

“We’re progressing and that’s the key,” he said. ‘We have a plan and a bunch of hard workers.”

The opening game will be the Lions first chance to show their development under Tatum, who took the reigns Dec. 13.

“The game I’m looking forward to the most is the first one,” he said. “I’m ready to get this season going.”

Tatum told reporters Wednesday that his approach hasn’t changed much since becoming a head coach.

“I don’t really feel much different,” he said. “I always took responsibility very seriously. Just the volume and magnitude of my responsibilities has grown.”

Prior to taking the reins at Southern, Tatum served as offensive coordinator at Northwest Missouri State University. Tatum’s Bearcat’s offense finished 2004 number two in the nation in scoring. They finished number 10 in total offense.

Tatum said the potential exists for Southern’s offense to be a potent one, as well.

“Look for our guys to play with abandon,” he said. “Our guys are practicing faster than one of the national championship teams (at Northwest).”

Sophomore quarterback Adam Hinspeter will lead that attack. Tatum said Hinspeter is up to the challenge.

“Adam Hinspeter is ready,” he said. “We have more offense installed now than last year in Maryville, Mo., and he is ready for more.

“Adam has an uncanny football intuition. Emotionally, intellectually – along those lines, he is the total package.”

Ouachita Baptist finished 2005 2-8 overall and 2-7 in the Gulf South Conference.

Last year was the first meeting between Southern and the Tigers with the Lions taking a 38-21 victory at A.U. Williams Field in Arkadelphia, Ark.