Art department creates getaway

Jenny Jones (left) and Bryan Fairbanks, senior graphic arts majors, sit in the new art lounge at the art department Oct. 3. The department came up with the idea to have a place for art students to relax and communicate.

Art students at Missouri Southern have a new hub for relaxation and communication.

Some of Southern’s art students got together with Josie Mai, assistant professor of art, and came up with a way for art students to get this needed retreat.

Together they came up with the art lounge, a room over at Spiva Art Gallery.

“The art lounge was conceived last spring by me and a student organization, Art League. It was determined that faculty and students were in agreement that students needed a place to ‘hang out,'” said Mai. “Art students tend to spend hours at a time in the department because of the involvement in studio projects, and they often need a mental break. The art lounge is a colorful, educational, and mental respite from their work.”

Jason Stamper, senior art major, helped paint and conceive the lounge.

“The idea behind the lounge was to give the department a hub for communication and interaction between students,” Stamper said. “As the lounge develops we expect it will fill that role. We have several plans in the works for the space including a small student gallery.

“As for the rest, we will let it develop to suit the students need as time passes.””

Technology also was added to the art lounge.

“There are also networked computers and printers for research,” Mai said. “Future plans include a coffee station and installed screen for viewing of art videos. Art League officers and Southern Concepts, the department’s graphic design club, meet in the art lounge regularly.”

Mai also wished to thank Stamper and Pam Harris, Rahila Khan, Samantha Thompson, Rachel Brown and Karley Johnston. She said these persons played major roles in the development of the art lounge.