Northpark Mall gets facelift in time for holidays

Caution tape blocks off areas of mall flooring receiving new ceramic tile. The Grand Celebration begins Nov. 16 with the ribbon cutting.

Nip, Tuck, Shop.

Northpark Mall is receiving a facelift. Since its purchase by CBL & Associated Properties in November 2005, Northpark Mall has undergone a renovation process due to be completed Nov. 16.

“[CBL] buys malls, improves them and looks for a rise in profit,” said Lori Jones, marketing director at Northpark.

The renovations include new facades, floor tiling, lighting, and stonework throughout the mall.

Northpark will also be opening new food court restrooms with ceramic flooring and stainless steel fixtures. A set of family restrooms and a nursing area will be included. Other expansions include 100 additional dining seats in the food court and a soft seating area.

With an average of 700 college students occupying mall staff positions during peak holiday season, many have seen the work happen firsthand.

“The renovation has little effect on my job,” said Katie Banes, freshman nursing major.

Though the mall has frequently been covered with caution tape, most of the interior work takes place after 9 p.m.

“The workers come in at night after the mall is closed,” Banes said.

With the mall’s renovations coming to a close, preparations are in place for the Nothpark Mall Grand Celebration. The official ribbon cutting will take place at 10 a.m. Nov. 16 in the food court. The weekend celebration will kick off with a performance from the Joplin High School Drumline and the Joplin High School Choir. Performances from other local groups will continue through the weekend.

Visitors can also expect a visit from Nickelodeon’s Sponge Bob Square Pants and a fashion show.

Northpark will also be giving out $5,000 in gift certificates over the course of the weekend.

For more information on the Northpark Mall’s Grand Celebration and ribbon cutting please visit www.visitnorthparkmall.com.