Model UN represents India

The Missouri Southern Model United Nations Club attended the Midwest Model U.N. in St. Louis February 21-24, where the students represented the country of India.

Before the conference, the nine participating students researched global issues and prepared positions reflective of the foreign policy of India. During the conference, they worked with approximately 500 students, representing 70 other U.N. member states, from colleges and universities throughout the nation to find solutions to the topics on the conference agenda.

Barukh Binah, consul general at the Israeli consulate in Chicago, delivered the conference’s keynote speech. Binah, who had formerly served with Israel’s U.N. mission, expressed hope that the United Nations would play a more even-handed role in the disputes between Israel and the Palestinians. He also called for reforms that would make it possible for Israel to participate in the Security Council and in the U.N. Economic and Social Council.

Dr. Paul Teverow, professor of history, co-sponsors the Club. Teverow accompanied the delegation, which was led by head delegate Rebecca Elo, junior international studies major. Along with faculty sponsors from other universities, Teverow attended sessions on proposals for reform of the Security Council and on best practices for preparing students for Model U.N. conferences.

Students attending the conference were John Carr, senior biochemistry major; Jon David Watson, junior chemistry major; Jeff Erman, senior English major; Jessica Reyelts, senior studio art major; Lauren Oxendine, senior international studies major; Valerie German, junior biology major; Jamy Spry, senior international studies major; Steve Seeley, senior biology major; and Elo.