Spiva hosts Oscar night

Matt Davidson, senior theatre major, watches the 79th annual Academy Awards at the Spiva Library Osar party

Alexandra Nicolas

For only one night, University Java was transformed into a spectacle that could only be described as Oscar worthy.

Approximately 25 students and friends gathered on the lower floor of Spiva Library to watch the awards on the plasma screen. They snacked on popcorn and cookies. They also cast their own votes for the prospective winners.

The concept originated with request from students for the library to hold its own Oscar party, and Amber Carr, public relations coordinator, put in the hours and effort to make it happen.

“I was here at one o’clock. We all put in three or four hours Friday, but we’ve been working on everything for a while,” Carr said.

The scene was complete with a red carpet, twinkling lights, stars, favors and a refreshment table.

“We tried to make it as celebrity as possible,” Carr said.

Students also competed in Oscar trivia and voted, on personal ballots, whom they thought the final winners would be. The guest with the most correct guesses received a DVD of the two-time Oscar-winning movie Little Miss Sunshine.

Guests were free to dress up if they chose, or just come and enjoy the general splendor.

“It’s something to do with Missouri Southern and it gave me an excuse to dress up,” said Tania Lonero, sophomore CSI major who attended the event with her daughter.