CAB plans to increase school spirit

Fall activities are already in place for the Campus Activities Board, but more are on the way as they plan to increase student involvement on campus.

“Our mission this year is increasing school spirit, getting students involved with everything,” said Carolyn White, senior biology major, during the first CAB meeting of the year.

Members centered on activities that will engage students in campus activities and increase involvement with athletics at Missouri Southern.

Foam fingers are on order for Homecoming. Group members discussed passing out more T-shirts to game attendees and suggested giving away noisemakers in the student section during football games.

Another upcoming plan is a spirit couch, bringing at least a few fans closer to the action on the field. Approval has been given to put the couch on the sidelines and after its first appearance couch rights will be settled by a lottery system. Students who attend CAB sponsored events can register for the drawing and a name will be picked before each home game.

“This campus has so much unrecognized potential and this year CAB has decided to expose it,” said Tori Christiansen, director of student activities, “We are challenging students, faculty, staff and other supporters to show their ‘Lion Pride’ in any way they know how.”

Christiansen said part of her goal this year with CAB and student organizations is to set traditions for the campus and build a spirited, supportive campus.

CAB members are encouraged to turn out to athletic events, but Christiansen says more enthusiasm for student sports is only the beginning.

This year CAB is introducing a calendar hot line with its schedule of events, to be updated weekly. Monthly events include the third Thursday free movie nights, with tickets available inside the CAB office beginning the third Monday of each month.

CAB Comedy Nights will be 7 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month. September’s comedian was Dan Levy. October brings Bernadette Pauley to Webster Hall auditorium.

Once a month bingo happens in the Lion’s Den on the last Friday of the month, but encouraging student turnout for the games is a big part of this year’s focus.

By partnering with athletics, CAB members plan to lend their voices to the cheering section, creating a student tunnel for the football team at the beginning of the game and planning pep rallies for the Fridays before for both the Pittsburg State and the Homecoming games.

Most of this year’s Homecoming activities are still in the planning stages, but T-shirts, novelties, games and the picnic are all on the list. A block party is planned in conjunction with the Alumni Association the Friday night before the homecoming game. A “Spirit Week” is also planned with a dress up theme for each day .