Southern History

Southern History

Southern History

HEALTH SCIENCE:

The health sciences building will be a 3-story 75,00 square-foot facility occupy what is now Parking Lot 11 behind Taylor Auditorium. This $16-17 million facility will house radiology, psychology, nursing, RAD, dental hygiene and the campus health center in classrooms, offices, conference rooms and laboratories.

The Board of Governors approved the move of the facility from the lawn behind Hearnes Hall to its current tentative location to help with traffic concerns and preserve green space on campus. One hundred parking spaces will also be added to the west of the Fred G. Hughes Stadium. Bob Harrington, director of the physical plant, described the move as an improvement of “light-years.”

“The location it was going to be on was just the prettiest piece of campus,” Harrington said.

Ground-breaking is scheduled for January or February 2008.

RECREATION CENTER:

Renovations to Billingsly Student Center adding a campus recreation center will begin spring 2008. This addition will extend to the west from the BSC toward the Learning Center.

The center will feature three basketball courts, a running track, weight facility, movie theatre and a new “shopping mall style” glass-front bookstore.

For the term of the renovation, the bookstore will be moving – most likely to a new building. Acting Vice President for Business Affairs Rob Yust hopes the decision will be made at today’s Board of Governors meeting.

“If they decide to construct a building, we need to get going, that’s where the renovation will be starting,” he said.

A $150 student recreation fee, paid as part of student expenses will pay for the center.