Parade preparations for ‘Let the Good Times Roar’

Members of the band are seen in the reflection of a sousaphone during the football game on Sept. 8. The Campus Activities Board discussed plans for the Homecoming parade. The parade will take place at 11

30 a.m. tomorrow on campus. For a complete preview of Southern's Homecoming activities, outstanding alumni and Lion Hearted Award winner please see section B of today's edition of The Chart.

Papier-mâché and chicken wire were on the Campus Activities Board’s agenda this week. The CAB, like many organizations on campus, decided on a final theme for their Homecoming float this past week, but float ideas will remain a secret until the parade at 11:30 a.m., Saturday Oct. 13 on campus.

Because this is a float competition, the CAB wanted to keep things fair.

“We have a large amount of funding,” said Tori Christiansen, director of student activities. “The students decided to put us on a level playing field with other organizations.”

The group decided to get donations from local business to make their float instead of purchasing everything they need out of a catalog.

“This way their hard work can be rewarded,” Christiansen said.

Organizations are allowed to spend money on their floats. Student Activities will reimburse the first 10 recognized student organizations that turn in receipts up to $100 for money spent on the float.

Floats are judged according to creativity, originality, general appearance and observance of this year’s theme “Let the Good Times Roar.” The four best floats receive bragging rights and a cash prize. First place receives a $200 prize.

Members of the CAB, which won last years competition, hope to reclaim the title this year.

“We would like to make a tradition of taking first place in the float competition,” said CAB Vice President Whitney Hornaday, senior criminal justice major.

The CAB’s mission for the year is school spirit. Participation in float building is a way for organizations to show their school spirit all over campus.

“We want to have the best float so we can be the example,” Hornaday said. “We want to set the standard.”

Students who miss the parade have a second chance to see some of the floats. Organizations are encouraged to bring floats to the Homecoming game at 2 p.m. on Oct. 13. Floats will be parked on the circular gravel drive that surrounds the stadium.